Network Engineering Lab Support Engineer
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contract Duration: Long trem contract
- This is a lab support position for our national (commercial services) network. The candidate is expected to support a team of geographically-dispersed network engineers by facilitating the implementation of test-case installations/connections in a lab environment. The lab mimics our production network implementations and the team under which this position reports has the responsibility of verifying all new software and hardware before it is introduced into the production environment.
- Candidate should have good familiarity with commonly-used L1/L2 connectivity types (copper Ethernet, optical Ethernet variants, cabling infrastructure like patch panels/fiber managers, various types of fiber optic cabling, etc.)
- Candidate should have familiarity with routed/switched network environments and know commonly-used industry acronyms and terms. Actual operational network engineering/operational experience is preferred but not required.
- Candidate should have experience working with Microsoft Word, Excel and Visio.
- Candidate should have excellent verbal communication skills.
- Candidate should be gregarious and comfortable working in a team-support environment. Building trusted relationships and quickly connecting with a team of highly-skilled, veteran network engineers is paramount.
- Candidate should be highly organized, detail-oriented and be able manage their time effectively.
- Implement requests from network engineers to connect devices, slot/un-slot cards, plug/unplug optics, rack/move small network devices following verbal and written instructions.
- Prepare/submit work packages for large network installation requests to a contractor team.
- Update lab network documentation and maintain it accurately.
- Manage parts inventory in the lab and modify it a timely and accurate fashion.
- Candidate could, if appropriately skilled/motivated, assume some test/verification responsibilities once they have become familiar with the environment and test cases.
- We would prefer a candidate that has the potential to progress to this level.