MTC Technical Metering Sr. Technician
Jackson, MI US
Duration- 06 Months contract (High Possibility to extend)
Location: Jackson, MI - need to be local for travel/field work
30% travel- 1 or 2 days a week travel/field work required
70% on site in Jackson
- field work- 30%
- in office the remainder of the time - training on tools
- provide support to people that are out in the field- troubleshooting on tools they are using in the field
- 1-2 years of experience with utilities
- electric or gas metering
- familiar with hand tools
- The role of the Metering Technology Center (MTC) Senior Technical Metering Technician is to provide a variety of expert level technical support functions related to a wide range of electric and gas metering applications.
- In this capacity the Sr. Technician must rely on their expert knowledge and experience to support existing operations and provide solutions which add value to the business.
- Operations which the Sr. Technician is expected to provide direct support includes the MTC Electric Test Facility [E-TF], MTC Gas Test Facility [G-TF], MV90, Advanced Meter Infrastructure [AMI], Revenue Recovery, Electric Meter Operations [EMO], Gas Services and Customer Billing.
- The covered territory covers all Client gas and electric territories in Michigan.
Quality Assurance: Document and execute quality assurance activities necessary to ensure compliance with MPSC and Consumers Energy regulatory and operational requirements as it pertains to gas & electric metering.
Process Documentation: Provide standard work instructions / job aids / procedures as necessary to support gas & electric operations within MTC and the relevant field groups. Standard documents must be reviewed and approved before they are published for general use.
Technical Metering Support: Provide expert level technical support pertaining to metering and metering applications for the MTC ETF, MTC GTF, MV90, AMI, Revenue Recovery, Customer Billing, and the relevant field groups.
New Metering Products: Assess performance and functionality of new hardware and software metering products with an emphasis on current and future MV90 or AMI metering solutions.
New Instrumentation and Tools: Evaluate new instrumentation, software, or other tools for gas & electric operations within MTC and the relevant field groups. New instrumentation and tools are evaluated with an emphasis on improving productivity and reducing the human struggle.
System Testing: Support all system testing impacted by metering data or meter events due to system updates or enhancements.
Advanced Technical Training: Provide training for gas & electric operations within MTC and the relevant field groups as necessary to support new tools and metering products.
MTC Operations: Provide technical maintenance support for the MTC Gas & Electric Test Facilities to resolve instrumentation issues which impact MTC operational goals & objectives.
SME: Serve as subject matter expert on projects which seek to introduce innovative solutions by leveraging advanced MV90 and AMI technologies.
Safety: Promote Consumers Energy's safety principles and safety culture.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Cultivate a team which is accepting of the ways in which people differ, removes barriers and empowers coworkers so everyone has the opportunity to realize and express their true selves within a workplace which makes them feel welcome and wanted.
- Knowledge of relevant national and industry safety standards such as OSHA and NFPA.
- Digital electronics and digital communications
- Programming experience - can be software or PLC
- Understanding of polyphase AC Power systems to include service types and transformer applications.
- Metrology - measurement of electrical quantities to include power, energy, and reactance within a three phase AC power system.
- Problem Solving - ability to solve complex problems involving multiple advanced systems.
- Oral and written communication skills necessary to communicate complex technical concepts across across business units and across management levels within an organization.
- Knowledge of MPSC technical rules and regulations pertaining to Consumers Energy's regulated gas & electric metering activities.
- Team building - ability to cultivate the relevant skills within all team members to perform at the highest possible level.
- Required: 48 technical hours or completion of relevant military training
- Associates Degree preferred
- Minimum of 2-4 years'experience required.
- 4-7 years'experience is preferred.